Saturday, November 12, 2011

Macaroon or macaron?


Regardless of the correct spelling of these decadent desserts, MACARONS [Hah! Spell check thinks it should be macaroons] are my all time, absolute favorite confectionery. A macaron is basically a cookie-sandwich filled with buttercream, jam or ganache. The cookie part is a mixture of egg whites, icing sugar, granulated sugar, cream of tartar, almond flour and food coloring. There are so many different variations and flavors of macarons; my two favorites are pistachio and raspberry. Usually I purchase from Thomas Haas or Thierry or kindly ask my best friend [and pastry chef] to whip up a batch. Most recently I came across tea-infused macarons at Urban Tea Merchant; these ones are imported all the way from Singapore and run at $4 a piece. Although these delicious desserts are supposed to be a treat meaning once in a while, I've somehow incorporated them into my diet as a staple food item; I literally go through a 12-pack [in one sitting] every single week. Macarons are my weakness!